[LUG] The Alt Gr key

I have been playing with my keyboard a bit. I have found a few
surprises with the Alt Gr key, which I thought was on no use to me.

Here are some examples. Hold down the key and type in all the top row
of keys from 1 to =

¹²³€½¾{[]}\ (note the euro sign)

Do the same with the shift key held down

¡⅛£¼⅜⅝⅞™±°¿

Hold down Alt Gr and enter ; then let  go and press the letter e

result   é

Hold down Alt Gr and press ' then let go and press the letter e

result   ê

Hold down Alt Gr and press # then let go and press the letter e

result   è

or I can get à or â for example

Alt Gr and < gives me ×
Alt Gr and > gives me ÷

There must be others. Could be useful for the occasional foreign word
such as café and fête.

Has anyone else come across this? Can anyone offer any explanation?

Neil Winchurst