[LUG] lost dvd

Dear all

Alas, my dvd hardware is now inaccessible. It was working well until a couple of days ago, with a CD in it showing video clips. It is a Dell Inspiron 9400, given as a 70th birthday present last September. Alas, over the Xmas period, my foot caught in the power cable and it dropped on a tiled floor, though it worked well for 3 weeks since.

I can obviously return it to Dell, but I wondered if any member in west or mid Cornwall could help by opening it up to see if it was anything simple? There is no light, the eject button will not work, neither XP nor Ubuntu recognises it. Hopefully it is just a broken connection.

I live near Heston and can travel most times to suit.

Many thanks.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk