Re: [LUG] Attachments ....

David Brook wrote:

> Without wishing to cause offence, and as a person not in the 'inner sanctum'
> of this forum,   can I ask why people use attachments to post messages to
> the LUG.??

These are probably, as others suggested PGP/Mime signed messages as per
RFC 2015 (circa 1996) and later standards.

Outlook Express mishandles these formats of these messages, and displays
the message body as attachment, unlike virtually all other mail clients.

The reason for posting this way is it is the standard way of digitally
signing emails, and has been for a decade. It ensures we know who the
sender is.

The bigger question is why would anyone use a mail client that hasn't
seen any serious development in a decade, and is single largest malware
vector on the Internet. Answers on a postcard to your IT management please.

Suggested here, Outlook Express is the last Microsoft Mail client
lacking in this regard.

http://www.phildev.net/pgp/pgp_clear_vs_mime.html

But if they were serious about attachments, they would stop them at the
border. So clearly either you are allowed to open attachments, or the
email admins are failing to enforce security policy. Or worse the policy
is enforced by asking people not to accidentally double click in the
wrong place.