Re: [LUG] oh great!

On Friday 12 January 2007 17:00, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Reminds me of the (apocryphal) demonstration of speech recognition in DOS
> > days:
> > The demo is set and ready to go and some wag shouts
> > "format c colon, Yes".
>
> I'm afraid I don't go back that far so this may sound a silly
> question: is that serious?! Either way it made me laugh out loud!
Back in the good old days that was the DOS (a way of crippling computers M$
bought in before Windows)  way of formatting the hard drive. Basically that
wiped your system and made it inoperable.
Thats done nowadays by installing XP or Vista which give the illusion of
functionality while keeping the user as far away from CPU cycles as is
inhumanly possible.
We can now use computers to produce millions of nice documents with no way of
actually utilising the data hidden within them other than by human
intervention.

> On the matter of speech recognition as well, is there any (usuable)
> free software speech recognition out there? I've had a little look
> around but it all seems pretty cryptic to me!
If speech recognition had reached any level of usefulness then I'm sure that
apple would have produced another crippled computer for dictation and called
it the IDick and sold it for 10* the hardware cost
Tom te tom te te tom