Re: [LUG] Portable programming

Neil Williams wrote:

> My continuing dislike of Java has nothing to do with the licencing
> issues, I just don't like the language, I don't like the VM and I don't
> like the widgets.

I don't like the widgets -- but we'll have to disagree on the others.

> Worst of all, I hate the speed penalty - my main
> tasks involve devices with very limited resources, Java just cannot
> deliver enough bangs for each byte.

I think the issue is what gets provided, and the reality of the
proprietary mobile phone market is that J2ME (or whatever SUN called it
last year) is already there on a lot of platforms.

If your reusing the stuff that is installed, the bloat hurts less.

> That's like C programs carrying around a copy of gcc and all the
> required -dev packages, just to execute.

Except the basics for J2ME fit in less that 512KB, which may be a lot of
bloat, but by modern embedded system devices it isn't a big deal.

I agree the battery life issue is a pain. Although I'd be curious to see
how much of that is Java, and say how much is a result of Java games
redrawing the screen repeatedly. I'm guessing screen redraw is a big
cost in the games market.

SUN are bringing a J2ME implementation to the free software world,
although I'm assured there are a couple around already.

Again, given SUN has reduce the core engine for some J2ME
implementations to 100 lines of code, plug the standard Java libraries
(Java.Lang), porting of this implementation is not going to be a big job
(assuming one has the right to redistribute).