Re: [LUG] Hardware Issues

On Sunday 07 January 2007 04:34, Mike Martin wrote:
> My Box has all of of sudden started shutting down without waring under
> fairly heavy load (video encoding)
>
> I have replaced PSU (350-450 unit)
> Monitor,mouse and keyborad still show as functioning - but obvoiusly
> with no inputs
>
> To restart I have to take out plug and restart
>
> Any ideas on which part of HW to look at next?

I would agree with the others - sounds like a temperature issue with the CPU.
First thing I would try is giving the insides of the machine a clean out -
especially the air vents. Make sure all fans are turning and not catching on
anything or clogged with crud.  Other areas with fans are also worth
checking - PSU, Northbridge, graphics card etc.
If the machine cuts out and will restart if you leave it for a while, then
that would confirm the temperature is the issue.
A 350w PSU is OK for a basic system, but if you have things like a powerful
graphics card or lots of drives, it really won't be up to the job and could
cut out - causing similar symptoms.
It could even be a ram issue - failing under the heavy load of the encoding,
but I would suspect overheating is the best place to start. You could try
memtest to check the ram - its a program which will diagnose any problems
with your ram and can be left to run happily overnight or whatever - it will
run till you stop it basically!

Mark