Re: [LUG] yet another reason to avoid pointless pdfs

PDF is readable by anyone,  plus,  In theory I could write a document,
save to pdf,  send this to every group member by e-mail,  then can read
it on their computer,  and not have to actually print it,.  Ok you need
a reader,  but if my document has screen  shots and other graphics.

this saves

a) money on paper for me
b) money on postage, ink, labels
c) money on printing at the other end (no need to)
d) helps the environment (less tress needed to make paper)

Disk storage space is pretty cheap,  so it can be full of neatly
organised pdf files,  by subject or whatever,  this not being on paper
is far more portable,  everyone can get access to it,  who needs to,
plus it's less of a fire hazard,    you may be able to print to fill the
paper,  but imagine your office moving from a to b,  would you rather
take 25 cd's with you,  or have to empty and move several large heavy
filing cabinets in order to move all your printed documents to a new
location.

By making something un editable is sometimes useful,  you could for
example type save to pdf,  tutor can then look at this and mark your
work on a spreadsheet,  save this as pdf,  and send it back to you,
Imagine the cost saving for a large university,  With the OU I can print
out a academic summary easily and quickly,

With pdf what you see is what the end user sees,    sometimes you dont
want people to edit something,  if we were collaborating on a project we
can agree on a file format (odt for example) and then produce a pdf of
the final output,   For the posters I provide both,   that way others on
the group can use openoffice.org to make changes,  and save to pdf,  I
think this has helped greatly in a number of occasions.

pdf is industry standard,

Ok it may not be ideal,  but at I guess its more environmentally (well
tree) friendly,  and that benefits the world.

Paul

--

DCLUG Meeting date Thursday 11th January 2007 - PRFC from 7:00

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.openoffice.org
http://www.linux.org