Re: [LUG] re networking for dummies

On Sunday 31 December 2006 14:03, viv wrote:

> > > Hi, I have just reinstalled one of my machines with Kubuntu 6.10 and am
> > > very happy with it except the networking is not working.
> >
> > Networking with what? Windows or the internet generally?
>
> Thanks Neil. I just have 2 machines - the other is Ubuntu 6.06

If I was just using two machines, both running Kubuntu, I would use fish. Fish
is a graphical front end for ssh really, so you need to install ssh and then
you can use Konqueror to go to the other machine really easily by simply
typing in  fish://IP_of_other_machine and you will get a dialog box asking
for the username and password for the other machine. I find it best to ssh
into the other machine once via the Konsole to accept the RSA keys for the
other system but after that, using fish works perfectly. No need to share
stuff - you can access all the files that way.
Some info over on the Ubuntu wiki, which also mentions fish and Kubuntu -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto

Mark