Re: [LUG] Vista knock-on effect

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:49:38 +0000
David Bell <grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The paper below claims that there will be a an eventual knock-on effect on the
> cost of hardware for GNU/Linux users as a result of the copy protection
> mechanisms built into Vista.

I like this big best:

Note C: In order for content to be displayed to users, it has to be
copied numerous times.  For example if you're reading this document on
the web then it's been copied from the web server's disk drive to
server memory, copied to the server's network buffers, copied across
the Internet, copied to your PC's network buffers, copied into main
memory, copied to your browser's disk cache, copied to the browser's
rendering engine, copied to the render/screen cache, and finally copied
to your screen.  If you've printed it out to read, several further
rounds of copying have occurred.  Windows Vista's content protection
(and DRM in general) assume that all of this copying can occur without
any copying actually occurring, since the whole intent of DRM is to
prevent copying.  If you're not versed in DRM doublethink this concept
gets quite tricky to explain, but in terms of quantum mechanics the
content enters a superposition of simultaneously copied and uncopied
states until a user collapses its wave function by observing the
content (in physics this is called quantum indeterminacy or the
observer's paradox).  Depending on whether you follow the Copenhagen or
many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, things then either get
wierd or very wierd.  So in order for Windows Vista's content
protection to work, it has to be able to violate the laws of physics
and create numerous copies that are simultaneously not copies.

=======================

This has a far wider scope than just Vista or even just DRM.

It goes to the heart of copyright on software itself.

Software does not exist. Read that again. Software does not exist - it
has no physical presence. Even the bits and bytes on a hard drive or CD
are just copies of the "software" which is in memory. There is no one
place that a piece of software can be said to exist. At any precise
moment, the electrons that carry the signals upon which we rely to use
software are at indeterminate locations within the circuit. The act of
trying to determine such locations changes that location (as detailed
above). When a piece of software does not exist in memory, only on a
physical medium - i.e. the software is not being run - then all you
have is an arrangement of ones and zeroes. It's not software because if
you put those ones and zeroes onto a different system, they would not
work - they are only a representation of the software, not the software
itself. The software will work on both systems but a copy of the
software might not.

When an object has no physical presence, how can anyone own it? Lots of
people and corporations own the equipment that allows the WWW to work
but nobody actually owns the WWW itself.

Software cannot be stolen because no physical item has been removed.

Software cannot be owned or even purchased - only licenced - and due to
the nature of software, such licences are self-contradictory if they
actually prohibit copying. Who'd pay for shiny coasters that they
weren't allowed to put in their computer? Reading the CD means
copying the software from the CD into the CD reader buffer, onto the
local bus, into RAM and to the screen or wherever.

Software *must* be copied to even exist, yet making copies does not
change the original. When you read a copy of this email, does that mean
there is less data on my computer? When I copy a file to someone
else, does that prevent me reading the original? Is it even possible to
say which *is* the original?

The whole DRM argument is complete bunk. Intellectual Property is an
oxymoron because there is no property. Property requires a physical
presence. Theft, piracy, stealing, ownership, purchase, all require a
physical object. The criminalisation of software requires that software
is redefined with some physical presence and that is simply a lie.

Software is an expression of thought and speech. Microsoft are
powerless to change the nature of software - their attempts only make
it harder for everyone else, especially their own users.

Has the world gone mad? (or is it just Microsoft?)

http://www.1729.com/blog/LookingForAWinWin.html

In a similar vein:

http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/consumerangst.html

--