Re: [LUG] Foreign words

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:43:59 +0000
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can manage to spell foreign words (eg cafe, fiancee) in OO writer to
> get the accent on the letter e. But how do I manage that in an email
> client or a browser (for example when writing a blog)?

You need that locale data installed on your system, the server system
and supported by the particular app for this to work smoothly. On
Debian, dpkg-reconfigure locales allows you to add the specific locale
to support the accented characters - add the base locale and the UTF-8
version. Then you can change to this language by simply prefixing any
command with LANG=$language_name. You may or may not have to repeat the
same on the server, depends how the blog software is configured. Then,
see if you can get your client application to use a choice of
languages. Keep en_GB as default but add support for the new language.
Switching to that language is app-specific.

This is the 'correct' way to support multiple languages / locales that
does not require the use of escape characters - naturally, it's easiest
if you also set up multiple language keyboard support.

Having said all that, cafe and fiancee are correct in en_GB without
accents so the only time that you *should* use accents is when using
these words in a foreign language sentence, not in a British English
sentence. i.e. when quoting a French speaker.

One sneaky way is to configure en_CA - Canadian English - with the
Canadian dual psyche, this may allow you to insert accents into en_CA
sentences but IMHO it would still be incorrect to do so. (British)
English does not support accented characters and using them for words
like cafe and fiancee is actually incorrect (British) English. The
British English word for the person to whom someone is engaged to be
married is fiancee - without any accents.

--

Neil Williams