Re: [LUG] Lunched harddrive

Rob Beard wrote:
> William Fidell wrote:
>> Ok so someone I work with has managed to kill a harddrive, not spinning
>> up properly and now completely inaccessible.  Its a IBM deathstar (i know).
>>
>> Anyhoo, anyone have ideas about recovering the data? Cheaply!
>>
>> Wills
>>
> What model is it?
>
> There was a trick I did with a Deathstar to get it spinning.  I had the
> drive powered up (without data cable) and held the drive in my hand
> (with my fingers and thumb around the drive so it was flat and my palm
> was touching the top of the drive.  I then did a quick twist of my hand
> a couple of times.  This released the mechinism and got the thing to
> spin up.  I can't say it works every time but it might be worth a try.
>
> Someone else once suggested putting the drive in the freezer for an hour
> although I haven't personally got it to work.
>
> Is the drive detected at all?
>
> Must be the season for hard drives failing.  I've just installed a brand
> new Seagate 250GB drive into a PC for someone and it has failed. It's
> less than a week old!!!
>
> Rob

Not sure of the model, "old" was the information I was given.  The drive
was not detected and makes the constant click of death.

But anyway, thanks all for the suggestions.  We will give them all a go,
starting at the least destructive and progressing.  My favourite
suggestion, off list, is it use a drill to get it spinning.  Or a sharp
"tap" against a table edge.

Maybe we can hang it from the ceiling by the power cord hitting it with
sticks until it starts up, like a christmas pinata

Wills