Re: [LUG] Lunched harddrive

On 15/12/06 12:13:39, William Fidell wrote:
> Ok so someone I work with has managed to kill a harddrive, not
> spinning
> up properly and now completely inaccessible.  Its a IBM deathstar (i
> know).
>
> Anyhoo, anyone have ideas about recovering the data? Cheaply!

I would ask for the backup and do a restore, but somehow I don't get
the nice warm feeling that that is going to happen! :-)

Rule of thumb is to *not* say it is urgent when you go to your data
recovery expert!

There are various things I have seen over the years, freezer, twisting
it by hand while the box boots to get the platters to spin. On its side
upside down, sometimes enough to get the data off.

And the highly unrecomended, last ditch effort of removing the cover
and flicking the disk when it tries to spin, I did that once and got
the data off. Once you have done that you can put the cover on and sell
it on eblag! :-)

I would charge them about £500-1000 pounds as a lesson in doing backups :-)