Re: [LUG] Warranties are for mugs

--- Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In which case the situation is similar to buying
> proprietary software,
> since if you buy Microsoft Word from a High Street
> retailer they are the
> ones who must ensure it is fit for purpose, not
> Microsoft.

I'm no legal expert but I wonder if a court would take
that view - given that the software is free.

Might they not take the view that anybody selling a cd
of (for example) Debian is merely providing the
software in a convenient manner? And wouldn't that
make them responsible only for providing a working cd
which actually did contain the stated software in the
stated format.

If so you could take the cd back if it was faulty and
insist on a refund or replacement under "fit for
purpose" but not because the software didn't work.

Of course it might depend on what advertising material
was provided and what that advertising claimed. Is
there a UK equivalent of Eben Moglen?