Re: [LUG] interesting points -

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 14/12/06, Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Some of the boys with money do understand technology, and increasingly
>> even understand opensource
>
> That's still very few and far between. I don't think there is a single
> UK open source company with VC Backing.
>
> I've worked for a few of VC Backed companies (before, during and after
> the dot.com bubble), not one of them seemed to have backers who
> understood what they had invested in, and at least one managed to do
> more harm than good by interfering in how the business was run.
>
> I also worked with some friends on a business plan, seeking VC
> backing, dealing with the networking companies that 'connect you' with
> backers was a joke, the agent was more interested in investing than
> the VC he was showcasing the project to.

Before VoIP was "the best thing since sliced bread", I was involved with
a company trying to get VC for a range of wireless VoIP products (this
was well before there was any VoIP hardware aimed at small businesses
and home users).

The response from every single VC company was that if we were using open
source then they didn't want to know because we wouldn't own the IP.

James