Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and freedom?

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jonathan Roberts
Sent: 08 December 2006 22:32
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and freedom?

Ray Smith wrote:
>> The case with nvidia pretty much proves >the point that neil, simon,
>> Jon and others have been making.
>>

>> Because NVIdia provides a proprietary >driver there is less pressure
>> to release specs so 3d can be added to the nv >driver
>>

> I have to dissagree.
> Xfree and Xorg developed very good drivers independantly of ati's own
> driver.
>
> The truth is as Ben has said several times now the nv driver still has
> updates but no open source 3d driver for nvidia is being developed.
> Point me in the direction of one and I will leap on it,

nouveu driver project. It's still in early days but they plan to
implement 3d acceleration for nvidia in an open source manner. Not sure
if I spelt it right but something along those lines.

Jon

Looks fascinating. http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
Have bookmarked this page but as I said am not a developer or programmer so
cannot contribute to this project in any way apart from perhaps via a
donation or testing & feedback when some progress is available to try out.