[LUG] Ubuntu and freedom?

Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about freedom in GNU/Linux. I've come to the
conclusion that it is really the best and most important thing about it
and central to the community element (which I think is fantastic!) as
well. I've been hearing rumours here and there about Ubuntu starting to
include non-free drivers for graphics cards, wireless etc etc by
default; add to that the launchpad system is proprietary. I was
wondering what other people thought about these things and others? I
can't seem to find any significant discussions about it anywhere...

Hope everyone is well!

Jon