Re: [LUG] Dansguardian was GPL/antitrust

Ben Goodger wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that either this is a violation of the GPL and
> that I need not pay commercially

He is entitled not to distribute to commercial users if he doesn't want to.

> or the Debian packages are purely GPL licensed and I need not pay?

If the code is under the GNU GPL and someone distributed you a copy, you
can use it, and redistribute, as long as you comply with the GNU GPL. So
you can resell this software.

> If so, this guy has a screw loose

You are the one who wants to use his software.... ;)

I think he is just trying to discourage non-paying commercial use of his
software. I don't think he does a good job of explaining the license
position.