Re: [LUG] fgets?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:29:20 -0000
"exetmp03" <exetmp03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
> after a problematic transfer of OS from one disk to another I am trying
> to findout which package fgets

1. fgets is a function (C and PHP), not a package.
2. If it was a package, it would have that package name
3. If you are searching for a file within a package, use dpkg -S

Function: char * fgets (char *s, int count, FILE *stream)

    The fgets function reads characters from the stream stream up to
and including a newline character and stores them in the string s,
adding a null character to mark the end of the string. You must supply
count characters worth of space in s, but the number of characters read
is at most count − 1. The extra character space is used to hold the
null character at the end of the string.
(GNU recommend using getline instead of fgets)

> should belong to (for some reason not all
> of my files copied over, this being one of them)
>
> Anyone know which package this should belong to?

The *function* is defined in a header file:

$ grep fgets /usr/include/stdio.h
extern char *fgets (char *__restrict __s, int __n, FILE *__restrict
__stream); /* This function does the same as `fgets' but does not lock
the stream. extern char *fgets_unlocked (char *__restrict __s, int __n,

and would normally be accessed in a C source file via:
#include <stdio.h>

That file is part of:
libc6-dev: /usr/include/stdio.h

So you could say that fgets is part of libc6-dev but it's pushing the
truth a bit.

The real question is: what made you think fgets was a file, not a
function, and what are you actually trying to do?

--

Neil Williams