Re: [LUG] reaction to botnet attack?

On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:42, Simon Waters wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > I'm assuming this is an attack from a botnet.
>
> Depending on the scale of it, I'd assume that was normal Microsoft
> background noise on the Internet.
>
> UDP 1434 on the net is usually MS SQL server infected with slammer. So
> one could notify the senders, as they may have infected machines. Then
> again if they still have Slammer at this point, they presumably aren't
> very important machines, or the admins are clueless....
Or broke - I've a got a Developer version of Visual Studio and the SQL engine
that comes with that has never been fixed - so if you get slammer on that the
only way to fix it is to upgrade - at enormous cost!
I think you can turn off the admin module to stop Slammer so you can still use
it so long as you disconnect from the network before doing whatever the admin
module is needed for..
Tom te tom te tom