Re: [LUG] Wanted: Lister or Staromatic diesel/oil engine to allow off grid laptop use

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 22:16 +0000, Neil Will

> Are you going to be using some form of UPS between the machine and the
> generator? Computers don't like variations in voltage.

This is the next problem to be solved >;) once one gets restored a
gennie (having a supply of biodiesel or filtered straight oil - these
things will burn straight oil).

But what I am concerned about is getting stuck with "a part" which
might/will fail, and then finding that part is unavailable.

One could get a set of spares I suppose. Or one could breadboard up
one's own circuits using utterly standard components that can reasonably
be expected to be in production forever.

Or perhaps not even for that stuff - with the growth of integration onto
single wafers etc. the time may come when even an individual
condenser/diode/resister ceases to be a seperate component to be
de/soldered onto a breadboard...

I'm not up on power supply and voltage regulation in general, from
pretty well first principles. What sort of thing would one want to build
into the system - and what sort of thing would one want to build into
the system that broke first (and cheaply and easily replaced) if
something went wrong?

The reason why I'm raising the issue of off grid in DC lug is that it is
by definition I would have thought one of the more rural lug cohorts (or
perhaps not) and people around with experience or know people with
experience of off grid working, possibly as a necessity rather than as
an option to give vent to my frustrated creative drives and 41 year
ecological committment as of last June (when I read Silent Spring 'cos
that year in the part of Ontario I lived it really, really was ... a
silent spring ... I had a real row with the library about borrowing the
book as they thought it was unsuitable for a 9 yr old. This was
essentially political censorship. They were even less pleased when I put
in an order later that year or next year for Murray Bookchin's newly
published .... oh sh*t I've just had one of those senior moments about
its title, something about the manmade world or summat. That book had a
profound effect upon my political and intellectual development, as did
getting my hands on a newly published complete collection of George
Orwell writings and then the stuff from out of '68.

By the time I got around to Marx that summer the damage was done - his
scientific reductionism crap blew it, as if one could play that sort of
cogs and wheels games with complex socioeconomic and cultural
psychological systems. Still, a lot of very useful analytical stuff to
be used in science and social policy and environmental work and open
source software movement, for instance, bears reading Marxian analyses
to a surprising degree, and even more particularly the earlier stuff
like Grundrisse and 1848 manuscripts. He wasn't far off with regards to
corporatisation and globalisation, bt the worm in the apple core was of
course Leninism. Would have arisen from the science kick crap with his
or someone elses name, really no escape from "the end of politics" once
he lost his way from the fertile pastures of the manuscripts, so for
most of us technofreak alternative tekky tyoes we looked to older
formations like the English Cuvul War stuff for inspiration.

Eclectiscsm is the watchword, basically, and openn source people could
do with some self educaion in intellectual histgory and ideology, if
only to avoid repeating history as farce...