Re: [LUG] mailman question from colleague

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Steve Marvell wrote:

> Is it possible to set up Mailman (http://www.list.org/) to act as an
> email newsletter system, such that:
>
> a) anyone can easily subscribe and unsubscribe via email AND via a
> custom webpage;

You can subscribe to this list via the website or list-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For custom web page I'm sure you can either fiddle the existing ones or
have your own that sends the "subscribe" mail.

> b) so that only the administrator can send email to the list - posting
> by 'users' is not possible;

Yes, you can restrict this sort of thing.

> c) what fields are available, if any, for customisation of emails that
> are sent out: e.g: name, membership number, date of joining

Not too sure what you're after here.  You want someones individual
membership number on every mail they recieve?

> d) is it possible to import new sets of email addresses using a plain
> text (txt/csv) file all in one go and to sort/delete/edit members
> details

Yes, very easy either with a command line tool or via a web form. (Both
one address per line style).

Or you could fiddle with majordomo just for kicks but mailman is probably
a saner choice given perl 4 is a bit long in the tooth :).

Alex.