Re: [LUG] Wanted: Lister or Staromatic diesel/oil engine to allow off grid laptop use

M.Blackmore wrote:
> Totally off topic, or possibly, just, a teensiest little bit relevant in
> the most tenuous degree 'cos I'm planning to go off grid with a domestic
> scale combined heat and power system using veggie oil (and flog any
> excess lekky back to the grid).

Sounds like a good plan!

I'm not sure about a ups - a laptop has a dc converter before itself,
and I'm not enough of an electronics whizz to say whether that will
smooth the power enough, nor even know how spiky it will be - but a
cheap ups with duff batteries from ebay might be reassuring if nothing else.

I'd think if it was /that/ spiky though, other electrical equipment
would start failing before a dc converter - but that's just a guess.

> Still doesn't solve the problem of boiling the kettle 3 or 4 times a day

Woodburner! Either a range or fire - most of the latters have a hotplate
built in. You mention underfloor heating (Nightmare if you have a
problem down the line - floor has to come up) - but not how it's fed.
Solar gain? It'll need a boost, and woodfire with backboiler is a must.