Re: [LUG] Wanted: Lister or Staromatic diesel/oil engine to allow off grid laptop use

Ben Goodger wrote:

> I'd say you're better off keeping your sensitive electrickery connected to
> the grid - of course, your vegetable-power local circuit should be OK for
> the rest of the house. Don't forget to connect your central heating system
> to a pipe laid in contact with the engine!

Washing machines apparently can have problems, too.  I think it's
generally inductive loads that have difficulties, but I'm not too sure.
Some electrical systems also have problems coping with the modified sine
wave output of the cheaper inverters.

Some of the CS engines had radiators for cooling, but others used a
"total loss" water cooling system relying on a thermosyphon set up
between the engine and a large open tank of water.  A heat exchanger
can be used to extract heat from that water, but there's far more
available from the exhaust system, as long as you don't constrict the
exhaust or cool the gases too much.  In fact, the usual problem for
people using CHP systems based on the Lister CS is there's far more
heat output than you can usefully use for the amount of electricity
being generated.  There has to be some way to use that with a Stirling
engine...

James