Re: [LUG] Problems with my digital camera

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:34:30 +0000
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many Canons do not show as mass storage devices like most cameras.
> They use something called PTP - picture transfer protocol, rather than the
> more common systems used by digital cameras.

Yes, you are correct, my Canon does use the PTP system.

> Have you tried using gphoto2 to get the images from the camera?  It should be
> able to retrieve the photos for you without locking up the system. My
> daughters Canon (different model - same PTP) works with gphoto2 but not with
> other apps.

It isn't retrieving the photos which is the problem. Once I have the
computer running with the camera attached Digikam recognises
the camera and retrieves the photos quite happily. My problem is that I
can't successfully attach the camera and power it up while the computer
is running, I can only do it by starting with the computer switched off.

It is not retrieving the photos which locks the system, it is switching
on the camera while the computer is already running that causes the
problem.

Neil Winchurst