Re: [LUG] MS-Novell

On Friday 03 November 2006 09:25, john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I understand from an usually reliable source that Microsoft and Novell have
> reached an agreement to share patents and increase compatibility between
> their operating systems. This will affect SUSE positively and Red Hat
> negatively I gather.
>
> John
> --

It is indeed true. Both Microsofts Press release and Novells blogs confirm
it -
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/nov06/11-02MSNovellPR.mspx
and
http://www.novell.com/company/blogs/cmo/

I have no idea how it will impact on RedHat - but it will doubtless be bad
news for them.
Reading the articles, it appears that Novell actually made the move to court
Microsoft - which I found surprising.

How this impact on the general GNU/Linux community is what will be
interesting.

Mark