[LUG] Compress GPRS through server

Hello everyone.

I've got a friend who travels a lot and lives in a mobile home. He
doesn't use the internet much, so accessing it through GPRS (orange do a
good deal) is fine (it's the only option anyway, as he's planning on
travelling to Morocco).

Some time ago he bought a years subscription to a thing called onspeed.
This works very well for Windows, but while they claim it works in Linux
under wine, it really doesn't.

I was wondering if there was a way I could speed it up by tunneling it
through my server. I would use an ssh like I use to get to my home
network from uni, but the impression I got was that that slows things
down, not speeds them up.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon