Re: [LUG] Free software vs Open Source

On 30/10/06, Jonathan Roberts <jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I didn't realise until recently that this was even an issue! Now that I
> realise this is an issue I want to let everyone else know because I'm
> sure (at least I hope) I'm not the only who had no idea there was a
> difference between these two terms! It's a difference I think is quite
> important too:

I actually find it less black and white, I sympathise with the FSF
agenda but on a day to day basis work closer to the Open Source side.

That means while I help campaign against Software Patents, and release
my software under the GPL (or dual licensed artistic and GPL), I don't
have strong philosophical objections to other people writing
proprietary software, so long as it doesn't impact on others who
choose to write free/libre open source or even shareware software.

There are only very limited occasions where the difference matters
significantly to me, and those are political rather than technical.

cheers,

A.

--

http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk