Re: [LUG] Ubuntu gnome-panel crashing

On 29/10/06 21:07:36, Ben Goodger wrote:
Hi

Whenever I start gnome-panel, I get this message:

(gnome-panel:6679): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to
allocate widget with width -5 and height 25
Gtk-ERROR **: file gtkrecentmanager.c: line 2248
(get_uri_shortname_for_display): assertion failed: (name != NULL)
aborting...

Width of negative 5 isn't going to be much good to anyone. You should file a bug report with Ubuntu and try:
# dpkg-reconfigure gnome-panel

Then logout and log back in.

If that fails, you may have to delete the panel but then you'll have to add the various components back to the new panel.

Which panel is affected (top or bottom)?

I am on Ubuntu edgy (it has only just begun doing this; I upgraded last month.) Any ideas at all? I hadn't changed my panel configuration before
this started happening

It's probably a bug in gnome-panel - there was something similar in Debian a month or two ago and with the Ubuntu release, Ubuntu packages are a little behind - it'll catch up. Filing a bug report just makes sure the maintainer is aware that an update could be worth moving to the top of his ToDo list.

and it doesn't help. I've also reinstalled the package. I'm thinking

Reinstalling is NOT the same as reconfiguring. When you remove a package - unless you specify --purge - the configuration remains. Removing a package and installing it back again is not usually that useful - that's Windows-type behaviour and GNU/Linux is quite different in how these things are handled.

--

Neil Williams