Re: [LUG] Help with Kubuntu for OAP

john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I would be grateful if someone might assist an OAP trying to get to grips with
> Kubuntu 6.06 LTS. I have installed this OS side by side with W98se. I can use the
> internet with Konqueror but I am not able to use Kmail which is installed but does
> not appear when I click Internet. I would also like to install Firefox and
> Thunderbird as well as Moneydance which I gather will run Quicken files.
> Kubuntu is installed on a Dell Latitude 500CPx with 256 mb RAM and has a WIFI
> PCMCIA card for connection to an ADSL router.
>
> Any advice would be most welcome.
>
> John W Hansen,Bude area.
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi John,

To install Firefox and Thunderbird try the following...

Open a terminal window (I believe it is called Konsole under Kubuntu).

At the prompt type the following line:

sudo apt-get install firefox mozilla-firefox-locale-en-gb
mozilla-thunderbird thunderbird-locale-en-gb

It should download the packages from the Ubuntu site and install them
for you.

I'm sorry I can't be much help with Moneydance, I haven't had chance to
try this yet,  I did have a quick look on their web site and it appears
you can download it from here: http://moneydance.com/other

I think you will need to choose the Linux (x86 processor; includes Java)
option.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob