Re: [LUG] Development Environments

Simon Waters wrote:
> Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
>> Possibly I'm missing the point of an IDE, but Vim works fine for
>> everything I've had to do so far (possibly with plugins, and with
>> regular use of things like ':make' and ':!cvs commit %'...).
>
> I think you want at least a point and click integrated GUI designer, and
> something that automatically refactors your code for you, to what you
> would have typed if you were as clever as the programmer who wrote the
> refectoring software.
>
> vim definitely doesn't do the first, does it?
>
> Heck, sometimes I don't even get colour highlighting in vim myself, but
> that is laziness on my part, pity it would have saved a mistake last
> week, I need Ben to teach me some more vim.....

Ah, for the first (on the rare occasions I do gui programming) I use
Glade or whatever (though I'm sure I could just learn the XML formatting
it uses, since Vim handles that fine).

As for refactoring, not a chance. It's bad enough when Delphi kept
capitalising things in places I didn't want capitalisation (thankfully,
the Delphi nightmare is over...). Anything more "clever" than that is
right out.

        bma

--
Benjamin A'Lee           e: bma@xxxxxxxxx