Re: [LUG] Ethernet??

are you using dhcp?

Never used mandriva. I use ubuntu but i never really got on with the
graphical network stuff since they don't tell me what's going on.

The icon in the panel that says it's connected may only be detecting
that there's a cable there when the monitor internet connections
program may be checking that it's configured correctly (or at least in
a way that seems correct)

I run the following commands (in a terminal):
ifconfig
cat /etc/resolv.conf
route

Normally that shows me what's wrong.

running "dhclient" as root normally fixes it, unless the router has
died, you may have to run "dhcpd" instead. it depends what comes with
your distro.

to test it
ping the default gateway as reported by route
ping the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
ping a website

even if this lot doesn't work it'll at least give you a more useful
error message than "not connected"