Re: [LUG] supercomputers

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 07:20:36PM +0000, paul sutton wrote:
> http://www.top500.org/stats/27/os/
>
> Looks like out of 500 of the worlds best supercomputers linux has quite
> a good market, share,  66 percent,  microsoft however have a minute 0.20
> percent market share,  that top on looks nice
>
> Operating System      Count   Share %         Rmax Sum (GF)   Rpeak Sum (GF)
> Processor Sum
> Linux         334     66.80 %         1247912         2131665         367847

I'd guess it's because GNU/Linux (and other free OSes) can be modified
to suit the needs of a supercomputer, unlike Windows.

Besides, most of the budget would go on purchasing a Windows licence
that'd cover all those dozens and dozens of processors. Linux supports
that out of the box. ;)

        bma

--
Benjamin A'Lee           e: bma@xxxxxxxxx