[LUG] Location map on DCGLUG

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_adm/map.php

Robin's location map has now been implemented behind the DCGLUG Members Area to ensure that only members can update or add personal location details.

Anyone can view the map but you must be logged in to add or update your own listing.

The new map is linked from the home page (below the section on Members Pages) and from the Members Area.

There are currently 37 members registered with the map.

I was unable to unambiguously match some entries in Robin's map against current DCGLUG subscriber records - if your entry is missing, it is likely that your listing on Robin's map did not use your full name, as listed in the DCGLUG members area records. Please login to the Members Area and click on "Location Map" in the linkbar at the top of the Members Area page or follow the link from the map page itself.

Just as with Robin's map, the location coordinates are randomised slightly because not only can google maps get very close in to your exact location but also the coordinates are easily viewed from the HTML source code along with your name. The postcode you enter is not stored when generating the coordinates - you are free to list your postcode (and any other info) in the Members Register if you want to do so.

For those of you whose location now shows up as below water or on a cliff edge, etc., let me know what coordinates you would like in your listing and I can tweak it. (Enter your own postcode - replacing <POSTCODE> with your postcode - at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=<POSTCODE>+UK to get the accurate value and add as much randomness as you require.)

Thanks to Robin for his code.

Hint: DCGLUG is now able to create other maps for other needs, on request. If future meeting pages give the postcode of the venue, I will create a "venue map" that does not use the randomisation so that members can use the google map to find the precise location of the venue. Let me know the postcode when you create a new page for a meeting - I haven't automated this stage (yet).

--

Neil Williams