Re: [LUG] Business South West

David Batho wrote:
> Guys
>
> Don't start Microsoft bashing as Linux can be as sh*t as Windows if the
> individual doesn't have a clue or the developers are having a bad day. We
> manage over 54 Windows 2003 servers and 8 Linux servers and over the past 2
> years both have been fantastic and have their place both in educational and
> the commercial environment.
>
> If Microsoft products are the only ones going wrong, why are there people
> providing support for Linux applications and servers (making money)?
>
> Just my thoughts!
>
> David

I'm not bashing Windows, just Microsoft's shady business practices.  I
generally use Windows all day as the company which owns Gemini FM has a
fair amount of Windows servers (one on each site - say about 40 odd
sites).  In Exeter we do have one Linux box (it was two but I reduced
this to one due to lack of racks space) and I dare say there are others
in the company.

I think with any computer system there will be a need for support.  Some
can be done in house but where a company hasn't got the money for in
house staff to support a product or perform a project they have to go to
an external company.  The comment I got from the company which only
supported Windows was that they don't touch Linux because they don't
know it and wouldn't make enough money from it to be cost effective.
How I understand it the guy who I was talking to didn't have enough
Linux experience to be able to support it at the same sort of level that
he could support Windows 2003 and didn't have the time to spend learning
how to do it.

Rob