Re: [LUG] Multiple users on 1 PC

Rob Beard wrote:
> HI folks,
>
> When I was playing around with Kubuntu at work on one of our new Dell
> PCs (Pentium D 820) I got wondering something.  Would it be possible to
> run two desktops at the same time on one PC?
>
> Now I know there have been products in the past that provide an extra
> video output, keyboard, mouse and sound for Windows, but I wondered if
> it could be done cheaply on Linux?
>
> What I was thinking of was...
>
> Standard PC (say a average sort of spec Pentium D or Athlon 64) with an
> ample amount of memory (say 1GB).
> An extra video card (say PCI 128MB Radeon card or similar).
> An extra sound card (PCI cheapo sound card)
> A USB keyboard and mouse and extra monitor.
>
> I wondered if it would be possible to run two copies of X and Gnome/KDE
> etc on the one PC so one user is on the main monitor using the main
> keyboard/mouse/sound card and a second user is on a second monitor with
> a completely different desktop using the second video card, USB keyboard
> and mouse and extra sound card?
>
> I'm thinking something a bit like LTSP but one one machine?
>
> Is it possible to have more than one USB keyboard and mouse on a PC and
> then specify which one is used for input?
>
> If it is possible then I dare say it is another opportunity to put some
> of these high powered desktop PCs to a more cost effective use.
>
> Rob

I have regularly thought about this, but never actually got around to
testing it out.

You can certainly add the appropriate entries in your X config, you'd
need 2 of everything mind... two mouse entries, two keyboard entries,
two GFX card entries, two monitor entries, two "Screen" entries and two
ServerLayout entries.

You can definitely start a second X session easy enough... from the CLI.
  I regularly do.  At a CLI, if you type "startx -- :1" (without the ""
marks) then it'll load up another X session locally.  If you wanted to
start it on the second set of devices, then you could use "startx --
-layout OtherDevices :1" *should* work (if I've read the docs correctly).

Making it do all this automagically on a "normal" distro is, however,
going to be a touch more complex.  Presuming, of course, that you want a
login manager such as GDM to start on both screens.

Grant.