Re: [LUG] Radio

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 10:24:58PM +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 08/10/06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Ben Goodger wrote:
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me whether I can get Radio 3 or Classic FM on
> >> Rhythmbox's internet radio feature?
> >
> >Radio 3 is streamed using Windows Media format (mms), or Real streaming
> >protocol (rtsp).
> >
> >My Rhythmbox handles neither of these, although I assume it is just
> >gstreamer support that ought to be needed. I suspect the application is
> >offering less than the underlying libraries can cope with!
> >
> >The BBC player app works under Debian Sid (free) if you listen using
> >"Standalone Windows Media Player", as Firefox seems to know what to do
> >with it by default.
> >
> >Radio 3 are playing real dross this evening!
>

> Yes, they are.
> Any information on how you managed to get Totem (I presume) to pay WMA would
> be lovely..

Assuming you're using Debian/Ubuntu on a 32-bit x86 machine, with the
non-free repository enabled (or whatever Ubuntu calls it, since
apparently the concept of freedom is too complicated for newbies...):

apt-get install w32codecs

If I remember correctly, after that it Just Works.

        bma

--
Benjamin A'Lee           e: bma@xxxxxxxxx
gpg: 0x11464336BB6D2FA0  w: http://bmalee.eu/~bma/