[LUG] Modem problem

HELP!
Anyone had any experience with 536ep modems and Linux?

I'm trying to get a modem to work on an elderly Dell Optiplex GX110 PC which is running RED HAT. I have the driver disc which contains Linux drivers but can't make any sense of the instructions given in the README file.

The modem has the Intel 536EP V.92 chipset and the instructions given in the readme file are as follows:

1. Login as ROOT (No problem there)
2. Extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf <archivename>.tgz
3. cd into the directory it created.
4. Type: make clean
5. Type: make 536ep
6. Type: makeinstall-536ep

I am stuck at step 2 as the files on the disc aren't tar files. In case anyone feels that they might be able to help I have listed all of the Linux files on the driver disc below. It's probably just me being thick or something but everything I've tried just throws up an error message.

Linux folder contents on driver CD:
536ep-boot
536ep-inst
hamregistry
Readme.txt
Makefile
vssver.scc
Folder - Coredrv contains:
536epcore.lib
rts.c
clmmain.c
task.c
task.c
coredrv.c
uart.c
makefile
wwh-dflt.c
license.txt
Folder - Inc contains:
hamcore.h
tasker.h
hamdefs.h
uart.h
rts.h
rts.h
wwh-dflt.h
sys-ver.h
Folder - Serialdrv contains:
clmdrvr.c
vssver.scc
gpl.txt
makefile
pci.c

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to get the driver up and running on the system.
Regards to all at DCLUG, Shane.