Re: [LUG] Network Printing (again)

Thomas Arrow wrote:

> I'm having a similar problem to one earlier metioned but this time not
> using samba. In short I just want my computer to print from my parents
> computer both running linux.After spending some hours digging around
> with cups I'm stuck. Should (from what I'v read) be easy but I just
> can't make it work. I read the cups manual
> http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html but still have got nowhere.It seems
> that it should "just work" if i set the server name to the one of the
> computer I'm gonna be using but it doesn't. Any help greatfully received.

We need some more details to help.

But basically "IPP" works on port 631 by default.

The server should be listening on this port.

# netstat -anp | grep 631
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN     20790/cupsd
tcp        0      0 10.254.239.1:631        0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN     20790/cupsd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*
       20790/cupsd

Debian defaults to only listening on 127.0.0.1, which isn't much use for
sharing the printer.

The client can just be told to use the server, assuming the server is
listening on an IP address it can connect to (in my case the machines
are on 10.254.239.0/24.

I find the web interface for CUPS pretty painful, but for the clients I
just edited the config file and put in the server name in
(/etc/cups/cupsd.conf).