Re: [LUG] Keyboard layout for en_GB (was Sterling sign)

Thomas Arrow wrote:
>>> Report what you get with:
>>> printenv | grep LANG
>>> in a xterm | gnome-terminal | konsole under X.
>>> You should get something like:
>>> $ printenv | grep LANG
>>> LANG=en_GB
>>> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en_US:en_GB:en
>
> Ok I tried that and got back nothing.. I set my "XkbLayout"   "gb" and
> restarted x but also nothing changed. And now I'm probably being very
> very thick but I can't find where to change the keyboard layout in
> kontrolcenter I used the search feature and everything but nothing came
> up apart from accessibility but nothing in there was any use...

Change it in gdm|xdm|kdm - your login screen. That sets the LANG for the
entire session.

Try logging into Gnome and see if the keyboard setting is already OK or
can be set to the correct value. Sorry, I haven't used KDE in such a
long time I can't remember where it is set - I suspect it may be trying
to do something clever like detecting the keyboard from the LANG (as
Simon hinted) but KDE has a reputation for having config settings for
absolutely everything so it would be unusual for Gnome to allow
configuration of something that KDE ignores.
:-)

IIRC, there is a "personaliser" thingy in KDE that sets things like
locale. For some bizarre KDE reason, it is separate from the control centre.

--

Neil Williams