Re: [LUG] Sterling sign

Thomas Arrow wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get the pound sign via shift-3
> in X. I can get it fine on a vt but in X i just get a 3. Some quick
> googleing seems to suggest lots of things todo with windoze and menu
> keys but nothing about the plain shift-3. Possibly this is gentoo
> spcific although I know james is having a similar problem on debian..

Select "gb" as the map in Xorg.conf if you have a standard keyboard this
is usually enough.

Section "InputDevice"
 Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"

Remember "uk" is the iso code for the Ukraine in this context -- you'd
be amazed how many people have made that mistake (myself included).

This can be overridden by the desktop manager (GNOME and KDE both), but
it makes sense to get it right at all levels, as you never know at what
level your system will boot to when it goes wrong!

Seems if you set the right keyboard mapping for Mac keyboards no one can
fine the "#" symbol -- as we discovered at a recent BBQ.

 Simon