Re: [LUG] Moving Files

Richard Brown wrote:

> I have started a new thread because what I actually want to do is move a whole
> load of files and folders from one computer to another. I also want to copy
> the mail settings, address book and wallet settings. I am using Kontact.
>
> Could someone tell me what is the best solution please?

I'm not familiar with Kontact, but the majority of linux apps store ALL
user information in the users' home directory, often as a hidden file
like ~/.kontact  ( "ls -laup ~" will show them)

If that's the case, then simply tarballing that directory up (or all of
your home directory) and somehow getting it across to your new machine
(ftp, web, email, network file copy, floppy disk...) and untarring it to
the same location will generally work ok.

tar -zcf /tmp/my_home_dir.tgz ~/.

copy /tmp/my_home_dir.tgz to new machine and

tar -zxf my_home_dir.tgz ~/.

To unpack, and it'll preserve file permissions, owners etc. If the
usernames aren't the same, you'll need to change the ownership of them
too. Obviously if you have any files of the same name, it'll overwrite
them without prompting.