Re: [LUG] WiFi

On 9/6/06, Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking in to getting WiFi working at home.. (toying with kismet)

> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=43481&doy=6m9
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=43475&doy=6m9

I think these are broadcom chipsets and I think broadcom support is
still a bit flakey. There are some broadcom linux drivers but I don't
know much about the broadcom stuff.

Get your self a ralink device! (no hidden motive what so ever
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Developers) ;-)

Device list :- http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

The legacy drivers, ie ralinks original with our bug fixes are pretty
rock solid now. As long as you are not doing SMP or bigendian and the
ebuild project is bubbling along nicely. We are also "upstream" in the
kernel source tree now.

Kismet works well and the chipset seems to have quite good rf pickup.

Regards

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk