Re: [LUG] Network Printer

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 09:07:41AM +0000, aaron Moore wrote:

I haven't replied to Aaron's post because I have no idea which packages
would be needed on SuSE. However, Henry's link to the Debian
Administration guide is just about what I did (although without the same
delays and with a few more packages that turned out to be unnecessary).
Basically, I took a rather heavy-handed approach and installed lots of
cups packages on the machine that had the printer attached and got that
printing locally. Then added packages to the machines on the network
until one would print and transferred the package list.

The one good thing was that it was all package related. Once the local
machine can print, there is little configuration to do (with the
exception of Gimp and T'Bird that I haven't tried) - all I had to do was
make CUPS accept traffic from the local intranet. If the machine with
the printer is running, the printer shows up in the printing dialogues
on other machines on the network - thereagain, all such machines are
Debian so I can't offer help on the Samba side.
:-(

However, see the first comment on that DA article:
You don't need to use samba.
XP can do printing direct to cups.
This what is called ipp internet printing protocol. just use
ipp://yourdebianhost:631/printers/Yourprintersnamehere
voila you can use it.
Aehm and you can also use a anonymous account for cups under XP.
You also dont need any postscript-adobe driver.
just give the /etc/cups/???/yourprinter.ppd to your client.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/425#comment_1

> Am about to hit this problem (letting my partners winxp home print to
> my printer on debian etch), so I look forward to any replies.

Sounds like you've got the printer working on Etch so it's only exposing
that via Samba or using ipp://

--

Neil Williams