Re: [LUG] Gnome? - never

On 22/08/06, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 22/08/06, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I usually use KDE. Just on a whim yesterday I thought I would look at
> Gnome for a change. Yuk, never again.
>
> So I just wondered, are there any figures out there on usage KDE versus
> Gnome (and any others I suppose)? I have always assumed the KDE was way
> the most popular. Is this true? Or does nobody know?

I feel the same way about KDE :)

I've always liked the gnome panel and core apps / plugins, but the
more recent lack of configurabiliity compared to the early days is a
little dissapointing.

I'd use KDE but it's just not to my visual taste - it (or rather QT)
still has that whole motif vibe about it.

My irreverant evaluation:

GNOME is too dumbed down. However, Qt is hideous, KDE is a bloated sow (even compared to the bloated bitch that is GNOME), it takes longer for KDE to start up than Ubuntu itself, KHTML doesn't work properly with GMail, KDE's "network transparency" is anything but transparent, KWallet is a nice touch but not really a killer app, KNotes in opposition to Tomboy is just rubbish. The only thing better about KDE is Kopete, which is the one example of KDE having better features but doesn't work properly in some areas either.

I went to KDE for not a day but a couple of months in order to give it a fair trial. Eventually I just got so pissed off I moved straight back to GNOME.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382