[LUG] Audio/Sound setting in GNOME

Been playing with various audio applications in GNOME on sid, and it
would be good to hear from the sound gurus we have on the list if I'm
missing something.

My understanding is that with recent kernels and GNOME, I should expect
the sound support to be largely via ALSA.

I have just one sound card built-in

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Although there is a redundant ISDN card as well, which doesn't seem to
cause any issues.

Okay have had vatious issues with sharing sound device between
applications.

When I set most of my applications to use ALSA, and the default devices
(I noticed especially Ekiga likes to select hardware devices, over the
ALSA default device), they all share the sound card sensibly. This
included setting the multimedia device selector in GNOME administration.

The ALSA documentation suggests this is normal, and that ALSA will
automatically use the hardware mixing on the sounds card, or do the
mixing in software if this is not supported.

However that left one fly left in the ointment, to enable system sounds
in GNOME, it insists (in Sid at least) that I start the ESD. I think the
problems I was getting was because I had libesd installed, not
libesd-alsa0, a qucik apt-get and I think that one is solved.

Does this sound sensible/sane sound configuration?

Is there an easy way to record mic, and phone, we want to record sip
calls (without messing with Asterisk), and I assume it can be done by
creating fake devices in the config file, which copy their data to file
before forwarding, but other ideas welcome.

 Simon, off to find out how to use spellinh in apps that use lib-gtkspell.