Re: [LUG] Cheap servers?

On Monday 14 August 2006 17:12, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> A whole host of ideas is going through my head at the moment regarding
> the Linksys NSLU2
>
> http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=239
>
> and
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
>
> The NSLU2 go for £50-60 have ethernet and USB2.0, they have an ARM
> processor and you can even load a version of Debian on to them. You need
> an external USB HD to do really useful things but the
> possibilities...... super cheap mail, apache, samba servers. Not quite
> sure of the processing power though, should be ok for anything i would
> do with it.

I've had one for a while:
http://www.david-web.co.uk/blog/?p=141

With an external USB disk it can do most things. At 266MHz it would probably
be OK for a server as long as you're not doing anything processor-intensive
such as serving dynamic web pages or e-mail virus/spam filtering.

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson