Re: [LUG] TV tuners

Simon Waters wrote:
> Anyone using a DVB-T (think freeview) tuner with GNU/Linux care to tell
> me what hardware/software (including host PC CPU and spec).

I built a home-theatre PC with 3 freeview (DVB-T) tuners last year and
tried most software packages.

Myth refused to detect any of the hardware. (Twinhan, Huappuage and
Avermedia) Likewise the myth bootable cd - knopmyth?

I was recommended Geexbox, which after running the bootcd for half an
hour I was still unable to figure out how to use.

I installed Windows and tried MCE. Polished, but you need to pay for
every little thing - including tv listings etc. Also only works with MCE
certified hardware, and you need to buy its own remote control even if
you've got your own RC's which come with the cards.

I tried most commercial demos for Windows. Some are abysmal, some
borderline usable, NONE without serious config or UI problems.

Tried MediaPortal (Free) - by far the best option out there at the end
of last year. I've since stopped using the HPTC (Too noisy) but have
transferred two of the cards and MP to my main desktop and it acts as a
big DVR, and I watch the progs on my laptop). MP isn't perfect though.
It also records in .dvr-ms format, which only WMP appears to be able to
play unless you convert the file after.

So... My experiences with freeview tuners on linux was very bad. Not
that much better under windows. The area is still new and badly
supported by software but mature packages are starting to emerge. Do NOT
expect a plug-and-play solution under Linux, but should be possible if
you're willing to spend more than the week I was to get it going...

Be *very* careful of what hardware you buy. IME, Avoid the USB dongles,
only go PCI cards that are listed as fully compatible with at least one
of the packages you're interested in.

Also, system specs are way higher than you'd think. The 2.8ghz celeron I
bought struggles when recording two streams under XP, but I'm prepared
to believe it's due to the .NET framework mediaportal uses. (I've seen
this program use 2GB of ram when importing tv listings!)