[LUG] Getting KDE application(s) to run SUID root?

Hi all,

I have recently come across "NetworkManager" and it's KDE frontend
(knetworkmanager).  It looks very promising... but I am having one
little problem with it.  I have no doubt that it's gonna be really quite
easy to solve, I'm just being a bit thick lately.

If I run "$su -c knetworkmanager", then it fires up fine, drops itself
into the KDE System Tray nicely and works a treat.  If I try to run it
as a normal user, it fires up fine, drops itself into the KDE System
Tray and does nothing.  It fails to see the network devices so it won't
detect any wireless networks, etc, etc.

I have tried making knetworkmanager SUID root, but when I run it I get:
    The KDE libraries are not designed to run with suid privileges.
    ERROR: Communication problem with knetworkmanager, it probably crashed.

Ideally I would like knetworkmanager to start on KDE startup, but just
getting it to work nicely as a normal user would be a start!  Anyone got
any nice suggestions?

Cheers.
Grant.