[LUG] Open source seminar

Hi everyone,

I know in the past there has been talk of holding a seminar/event to
promote OSS and I might have an opportunity to do this.

I have been speaking to people from Business Link and the digital
peninuslar network and there may be an opening for seminars in OSS
with venue and mail shots etc done for us.

At this time this would primarly be in Cornwall and for businesses but
if we can pull of a sucessfull event we can certainly spread to Devon
as BL cover devon and cornwall.

What i need to do at this stage is put a basic proposal together of
what we might like to do. So ideas on a post card please!

We must keep this (seminar) business focused and BL and DPN tend to do
most work with SME's so that is probably the target audience.

Some of my ideas are :-

* awarness that an alternitive exists to the proprity software people are using.

* awareness of proprity data formats and lockin problems

* awarness of licences in particular and an overview of free/open
licences VS closed ones

* The potential cost savings of using an alternitive office suite,
*nix server with samba, apache, mail etc

* Pointing out about licence infringments, ie I am sure many companies
use illegal copies of office/ or XP etc due to the cost. Point out the
legal situation they are in, potential fines etc and show there is an
alternitive that saves money can acheieve same results.

* Show how a mixed environment can be acheived, ie switching to a
linux server, or simply going Firefox and thunderbird as a start.

What would really make a difference is if we can get some people there
who offer support for OSS. <my ignorance> Is the anyone on the list
who works for a company that supplies OSS services and support? </my
ignorance>

It would also be useful for anybody who has integrated OSS into a
business to make a presentation. I can certainly do this but a few
case studies always looks good.

Thanks for any input

Regards

Robin Cornelius