Re: [LUG] Readability check request

Matt Lee wrote:
> On 24/07/06, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Here's your chance to make GNU documentation easier to read and understand.
>
> Ooh.. you guys are part of the GNU project now? Congrats.. makes sense
> too, what with GNUcash and all.

Umm, not GNU as in the project, GNU as in not-part-of-the-kernel free
software under the GNU GPL or equivalent.

You wouldn't want me to call it Linux software / documentation, would you.
:-)

(I'm not working on gnucash anymore either.)

I did investigate savannah.gnu and savannah.non-gnu when I was looking
for a home for my own projects. First, I don't like Texinfo for
documentation, I prefer Docbook. GNU-favoured info manuals are only
remotely usable, IMHO, even via dwww and info2www. Not once have I found
an answer to a problem in an info page, I've found answers in dozens of
manpages. Documentation is not about ideological preferences, it's about
how easily a *user* can get an answer from the text. That's it.

Secondly, I don't actually like the savannah interface (either gnu or
non-gnu), I prefer SourceForge. The two are close, but SF is better (and
gets more usage, more views, has more projects and higher profile projects).

Third, I have multiple projects, some of which would never be compatible
with the extra specifications for savannah.gnu.org and having some on
one site and some on another is just plain awkward.

Overall, there is no particular reason to be "part of the GNU project" -
the additional restrictions seem arbitrary and subjective.

Maybe it's part of being in the "vi is better than emacs" mob.
I *hate* emacs and everything that goes with it.
:-)

A lot of "GNU" is actually propaganda to use emacs.

Freedom is about choice, it's disconcerting when "GNU" try to push one
free software package over another simply because RMS wrote it.

All GPL software is created equal.

--

Neil Williams